Sunday, April 13, 2008

The family heirloom


This is an item that may cause problems between my daughters. The old kitchen clock. It has been there ever since I can remember. It was given to my mother by her grand aunt who was a great cook. A useful item in our kitchen. To ensure that we never cried over spilt milk, the alarm was always set and when the shrill ring sounded atleast one member of the family reached the kitchen in time to switch off the stove. It was originally grey in colour, and over the years the paint had chipped off. One fine day our woman friday - Bhagirati - painted it red. Since it was placed close to the area of cooking, it was inevitable that over a period of time it was covered with grease and therefore was subject to intense cleaning that resulted in the time markings being erased off. It has been a note of discord between my daughters. And I think it shall finally pass on to my younger one who for some strange reason has chosen to possess it over the diamond ring.

1 comment:

  1. noooooooooo..... that is the only thing I have wanted to have in my kitchen... Just coz she cooks and I don't...

    ReplyDelete

Would love to know what you have to say:

Related Posts with Thumbnails